Employment of nationals and foreign citizens in Uzbekistan is regulated by the Labor Code of Uzbekistan and other by-laws legislation, adopted due to implementation of the Labor Code. Labor relations, not covered by legislation, are regulated by collective agreements and individual employment contracts. Employment contracts must meet the standards prescribed by the Uzbekistan law. Foreign and local companies may hire employees directly, without using employment or recruitment agencies.
Full time employment implies full working hours, whereas part-time employment allows to work at two different placed simultaneously.
According to the Uzbek Labor Code:
- Terms and conditions of employment agreements and contracts providing for a less favourable status for employees compared to legislative or other regulatory acts shall be invalid;
- Labour legislation shall apply to foreign citizens and stateless persons who work in the Republic of Uzbekistan under employment agreements concluded with employers;
- Every employee shall have the following main rights: (i) to receive remuneration for labour which shall not be lower than the minimum amount established by legislation; (ii) to rest, secured by establishing a limited duration of working hours, shortened working days for a number of occupations and jobs, weekly days off, public holidays, and annual paid leave; (iii) labour conditions which meet the requirements of safety and hygiene; (iv) professional training, retraining and improvement of qualifications; (v) compensation for damage caused to health or property in connection with work; (vi) to join trade unions and other organisations which represent the interests of employees and labour collectives; (vii) social security due to old age, in the event of the loss of the ability to work, loss of the breadwinner and in other cases specified by law; (viii) protection, including judicial protection, of labour rights and qualified legal assistance; (ix) defence of his interests in collective labour disputes. Uzbek Labor Code provides for two months severance payment in the event of termination agreements at the initiate of the Employer.
An employment contract may set the probationary period, which shall not exceed three months. Salaries may not be lower than the minimum monthly wage. The regular working week shall not exceed 40 hours. The minimum paid annual leave is 15working days. Companies must obtain a corporate license for attraction of foreign employees and work permit (confirmation) for each foreign employee. The pension scheme includes periodically transfers the obligatory contributions to the state Pension Fund and to the Individual Pension Accounts for each employee.
Our services in the sphere of Employment
- advising clients on the full spectrum of employment issues;
- drafting of all labor related documents, including employment contracts, collective agreements, duties instructions and other internal rules;
- obtaining a corporate license for attraction of foreign employees and work permit (confirmation) for each foreign employee;
- consulting on various legal issues related to labor disputes, negations and class actions against a employer.